pregnancy

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

In memory...

Those of you who know Kevin and I well know that we lost a baby to miscarriage last July. If we had carried the baby to term, it would have been born last Thursday, Jan. 31. In July, when we had the miscarriage, we decided that we wanted to do something in memory of the baby, but thought that we would like to wait until the due date. So this past weekend, we had our families down (Kevin's dad got sick so his parents couldn't make it) so we could have a small ceremony and plant a dogwood tree in memory of our little one.
The weather couldn't have been more perfect. It was a beautiful day and a special ceremony. It really helped us to have some closure to the grief that we've experienced over the past 6 months. The tree will also be a reminder of the life of our child.
A verse that has meant a lot to me through this is Lamentations 3:21-24
"Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, 'The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.'"










4 comments:

Josh and Marcie said...

I had no idea went through one as well. I think that is a great way of dealing with it. I found my self avoiding all of mine and it has made it worse. Way to have that strength! I am thinking and praying for you guys

Amy Etheridge said...

WOW, I can't really find words, but I wanted to say something. The pictures are beautiful. We love you guys. Thanks for sharing. Amy Etheridge

kt said...

I want to offer you some words of encouragement. In August of 2001, Tom and I lost a baby. It was a very difficult time for us and our families. I have two sisters and they too miscarried the same year as I did. In June of 2002, my oldest sister found out she was pregnant. In July of 2002, Tom and I were once again pregnant and in November 2002, my yougest sister conceived. Wow 2003 was a big year for us. What I learned through it all was to trust more and more in God. I do remember in April 2002 our first baby was due and that was a very hard time. I prayed and prayed and prayed for a child. I also learned it was in God's time, not mine that it would happen. That is what I pray for you..in God's time. Karen Tutt

Jennifer said...

Melissa, I am so sorry. I didn't know about your loss. What a sweet thing you guys did in remembrance.